Friday, September 14, 2012

The Meaning of 'Quixotic' Is, Um, Quixotic...

The Meaning of 'Quixotic' Is, Um, Quixotic...

    My current blog title is 'Practically Quixotic.' It's an oxymoron, like jumbo shrimp or Apple tech support. It will probably change. I mean, my blog title will probably change, not Apple tech support. Either way, the proper definition of quixotic is "resembling Don Quixote."

    So who is Don Quixote? No clue. Haven't read the book. I really want to, but I've never actually gotten around to it. I'm still working on Hitchens' "Mortality" to discuss it with my dad, and a reread of Stoker's "Dracula" for my cousin's book club.

    But Quixote seems cool. If I could be any character from literature, without hesitation I would be the Count of Monte Cristo. But if I couldn't be him, Quixote would be a cool second choice. He is one of the most noble, chivalrous, and romantic characters in all of literature. Is it his fault he has poor eyesight? No. Sure, his sword may have been hitting against windmills, but he was attacking giants! And that's awesome. There may be no need for Don Quixote's valiance, there may be no giants or dragons, no damsels to be rescued, he may just be causing more problems and present himself as an utter fool to those around him, but that doesn't diminish who he is or what he is doing. He is a man who brashly charges a field of giants, ready to protect all he holds dear no matter what the cost.

    So, that is what quixotic means. Brave, bold, brash, daring, and romantic. Also, foolish, unrealistic, useless, unnecessary, impractical. Also, random note, his name literally means "hip" or "thigh." So, he may not have been very practical, but he's still pretty hip.

4 comments:

  1. I've been trying to read Don Quixote but haven't finished. It's interesting because it's Don Quixote, but it's not captivating. So I put it down with an intent to pick it up again and then never did. But if you're interested in reading it, you should suggest it as something to read for your cousin's book club. It might just get picked despite the millions of others that are currently being suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom said Quixote's pretty boring, too. I'd love to try it anyway someday. Except I'm only a chapter into Dracula, so it'll be a while. I really love the early chapters and its journal style so I'm taking my time. Except Bram tends to spoon out the foreshadowing with a ladle. "Gee, why does everyone I meet keep crossing themselves, warding me against evil spirits, and begging me not to go any further? Oh, well, I should ask the count about it when I get there. Off to the next leg of my journey! (whistles cluelessly while walking down dark alley)"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Dracula and started Don Quixote. He was lost in the hills right around the time he famously jousts against the windmills... and I really don't remember what didn't work for me exactly. But then again I was 16, and had just read the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Probably I needed a little more excitement from my prose. I admit I also started but never made it through Moby Dick.

    ReplyDelete